Do I have to file for divorce to get custody, child support or alimony?

No. If you are living separately from your spouse, you can go to the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court where you live or where your spouse lives (if he or she lives in a different county/city) and file a petition with the court asking for custody of your child, child support or spousal support. You do not need an attorney to file, and you do not have to file for divorce first.

510 King Street, Suite 400 Alexandria, VA 22314 703.836.8209 (phone) 703.836.4285 (fax)